Love is both a verb and noun. It’s something we can express through our actions and also through speech. Love is beautiful, very powerful and transcends all the senses.
The Bible is a book of Love which clearly shows us:
- How much Love God has for us.
- How God demonstrated and still shows his Love for us.
- How we can Love other people.
In learning about love, I searched and found these totally awesome Bible verses on love, illustrating both God’s love and Human Love from the New Testament that I think you will find helpful.
We love because he first loved us.
Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.
And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.
1 John 4:19-21
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.
1 John 3:16
If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?
Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.
1 John 3:17-19
The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
1 Timothy 1:5
The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.
- Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
- Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.
- Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
1 Peter 4:7-10
Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.
Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.
1 Peter 3:8-10
0 God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.
- We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hope for may be fully realized.
- We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.
We have confidence in the Lord that you are doing and will continue to do the things we command.
May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance.
Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. 14 But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.
Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.
- Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
Also published on Medium.